After installing a fresh Linux Distro Ubuntu, you should probably do these following things to super charge your Linux experience.
- First thing you should setup after installing the Ubuntu OS is setup the live patch system, it allows you to install and update the Linux kernel without restarting the system. It’s not recommended for personal computer but if you want you can use this feature.
- By default Ubuntu distro only allows you to access the default repository for the software installation but you get access to many 3rd party software as well, by checking the feature shown below from the software update menu, check the canonical partners software.
- So, the first command we are going to run on the freshly installed Linux machine, Open the terminal and just copy paste the given below command:
sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get upgrade
- These command will check for update and install various packages, as you have a freshly installed operating system but there may be some updates available for installation. After that just restart the system.
- Now install the required drivers from the ‘Additional drivers application’ (if available).
- Now open the terminal and run the given command to install essential.
sudo apt-get install build-essential
Now its time to install some software and improve performance of the machine.
- You may use the Ubuntu software application to install using GUI interface but we are going through the another way which is with the help of Terminal.
- Now open the terminal and copy & paste the below commands, these commands will install VLC media player, GIMP for Photo Editing Software and gparted for disk management, synaptic which is excellent for package management.
sudo apt-get install vlc gimp gparted synaptic
- Download the Google Chrome from the Web, and open the terminal where the file is downloaded and run the below command to install the google chrome.
sudo dpkg -i package_name
To play most of the video and music file you need to install the Ubuntu media codec which are by default restricted, to install run the below command. You will be asked to accept the user’s agreement press the tab key and then hit the enter key.
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras
- A regular backup of the system is really a good habit, so there is a timeshift ubuntu backup tool which is very powerful to restore you system from system crashing and mesh-ups, it can completely restore your system even if you completely delete your system. To install it run the below command.
sudo apt-get install timeshift
- Here, comes my favorite feature, everyone have a favourite application which they use frequently, preload is a intellegent demon that observe that the which application you use the most and keep them in memory before you open them (it works like cache memory).
sudo apt-get install preload
- Advanced firefox tweaks for stellar improvement, the GPU of the system is pretty most idle most of the time but have payed for it, so why now let it to be work, the GPU are extremely powerful for the tasks like rendering, but by default browser in Linux uses CPU to do the most of the stuffs. Lets make our GPU to work open firefox.
- Lets enable the hardware acceleration for the firefox, type about:config in the address bar and accept the terms then search for layers.acceleration.force-enabled and set the boolean to true which is by default set to be false in Ubuntu
- Further one more step to boost some more performance by enabling the gfx.webrender.all as shown below:
- The most important feature is GNOME Tweak tool which enable to use 3rd extension and themes and many more thing just run the below command to install and explore about it (it would be a very large topic if covered in this blog)
sudo apt-get install gnome-tweak-tool
- Then install the browser compatible for gnome tweak tool to customise the Ubuntu as per your choice (with a wide range of themes, extension and many more features), open the chrome web store or firefox ad-ons and search for gnome shell integration.
- To Improve the Laptop Battery life: Just run the given below command and you don’t need to do anything else. It’ll make your laptop battery last longer by implementing some power-saving protocols.
sudo apt install tlp tlp-rdw
Thanks for reading: follow me Avinash Kumar